Some days I'm just running on empty. Do you ever feel like that? Like you're getting things done, but your sparkle has gone and you're just plodding along? I hope it's not just me.
It's days like those that I keep dishes like this for. I love fried rice, it's the epitome of comfort food in my book, but it's not just any old fried rice so it also satisfies the 'exciting' criteria. It's easily thrown together from ingredients I have in my cupboard and it takes 10 minutes from prep to plate. Tick, tick, tick to all my other criteria!
Since today is one of 'those' days I'm keeping this uber short (well, for me)... but I promise I'll have my sparkle back tomorrow!
Fast Fix Fried Rice
200g cooked rice, cooled
120g frozen peas, thawed
120g meat of choice (we used chopped smoked streaky bacon, but you can use minced meat (pork or turkey work really well), ham or shrimp if you prefer)
2 eggs, lightly beaten
2 spring onions, roughly chopped
2 tspns soy sauce
1 tspn minced ginger
1 tspn minced garlic
2 tblspns sesame oil
1) Heat the sesame oil in a wok or high sided frying pan until really hot. Add in your meat of choice and ginger, then cook until your meat is browned/ crispy/ cooked through.
2) Add in the garlic, spring onions and peas and cook for just one minute.
3) Keeping the heat high, stir in your cooked rice and cook until it is lightly toasted. Once some of the rice is looking toasted add in the soy sauce and stir thoroughly to incorporate all the ingredients.
4) Make a well in the centre of the pan and pour in the beaten eggs. Stir it lightly within the well until it's just starting to scramble, then quickly and throughly stir them through the rest of the ingredients.
5) Once the eggs are cooked (about a minute) transfer the rice to two bowls then curl up, enjoy and be comforted!